When an HP printer is going offline, it is going to frustrate the users. Unfortunately, this offline error happens not only on Windows 10 but also on Mac computers. What makes my HP printer keeps going offline and what should I do to fix it?
Best Solutions for HP Printers Going Offline
Some HP printers, like Envy 4520 and 5000, and also Officejet 8830 and 8710 may experience this error. If your HP printer is also showing this offline message and you cannot print any document, some solutions below are going to help.
One brilliant way to fix this offline error is by restarting your router and printer. If a computer or laptop isn’t able to discover your wireless HP printer through a wireless connection, restarting the router and printer will be the best way. Below are the steps you must take to restart everything.
- Turn off the HP printer you try to fix and then unplug the printer’s power cable from the printer’s rear end.
- Next, turn your computer off because it is the server that sends the command to print a document on your printer.
- Plug in the HP printer’s power cord again and then turn on your printer.
- Detach your wireless router’s power cord and then wait for at least 20 seconds before plugging the power cord into your router.
- The next step will be turning on the computer. Now, all devices should be ready to start a new connection.
Reconnect my HP printer keeps going offline
If you are using a wireless HP printer, it probably goes offline because it doesn’t connect properly to any WiFi network. You need to set up the network connection via the wireless setup wizard if your printer has a touchscreen control panel.
- Access the control panel of your printer and then touch the wireless icon and then click the setup icon.
- Next, tap the Restore Network Settings or Restore Network Defaults and then hit yes and you will confirm your action.
- Tap the back arrow button and then choose Wireless Settings where you can find the Wireless Setup Wizard.
- Your printer is going to look for any available network, after scanning, touch the wireless network name you want to use.
- Finally, enter the network’s security password, hit done, and your printer should be able to start printing.
If these steps work, your printer’s blue wireless light is going to stay on instead of flashing.
Set your printer as the default
A user of an HP printer who is also using a Windows 10 computer must set the HP printer as a default printer. This is going to prevent your printer from going offline. To set your HP printer as your computer’s default printer, you need to follow these steps.
- Access your computer’s Control Panel from the Start Menu and then click Hardware and Sound menu.
- Click on Devices and Printers to see all connected devices. Devices you ever connected to your computer will also appear in this section.
- Under the Printers section, right-click an HP printer you want to set as your default printer and click Set as default printer.
- There will be a confirmation window, click OK to confirm your choice.
After setting your HP printer as your default device, you need to reconnect the printer and see whether this method can fix my HP printer keeps going offline problem.
Check for a paper jam error
Some minor problems like a paper jam or low-level ink cartridge can also make your printer experience error and keeps showing the error status. Examine your printer and try to figure out whether there is a paper jam or cartridge error problem that makes the offline status appear.
- Turn on your wired or wireless HP printer and make sure that you make all physical and wireless connections accurately.
- Check the cable connections to make sure that there is no disconnected cable. You should also reconnect those cables properly to provide stronger connectivity.
- Check if there is any paper jam inside the printer and then clear the paper jam error if there is any.
- Next, check the printer’s input tray and make sure the papers are enough. Consider adding more papers if the paper isn’t enough.
Sometimes, fixing this paper jam error is enough to eliminate all other errors.
Fix any cartridge problem
The ink cartridge can also be the suspect of the offline error. An error in the ink cartridge may cause some other errors and block your printer from working normally. If you want to fix this offline problem of an HP printer on your Mac computer or Windows computer, try this method:
- Open the access door of your HP printer cartridge and then check whether there is a failure message related to your ink cartridge.
- You must also check the cartridges’ ink levels and make sure the ink inside each cartridge is enough.
- Check the control panel display of your HP printer or check the software to see whether there are low ink level alerts.
- Click the OK button and you will terminate the alerts of low ink and then take the printer back online.
- Now, make sure that your computer and printer are all connecting to the same network.
Using Print and Scan Doctor software
HP has this special software, Print and Scan Doctor, that is going to assist you in fixing your printer. The software can help you fix many problems, including my HP printer keeps going offline problem. Here are the steps to use Print and Scan Doctor software to fix the error.
- Download the Print and Scan Doctor software and then install the software on your Windows computer.
- From the download location, double-click HPPSdr.exe and then open the application. Now, you need to click Start before choosing the wireless HP printer.
- If the system is not recognizing the printer, try to turn off the HP printer and then turn it on again. Next, click Retry on the system.
- Follow the software’s guidance and if the software requires you to turn on the updates, click Yes to update your HP printer.
HP Print and Scan Doctor knows what your printer needs, do whatever it wants you to do.
Deselect Use the Printer Offline mode
Another reason why your HP printer doesn’t work and keeps showing an offline status is the use printer in offline mode is active. You need to deselect this option to bring your printer back online. The steps to deactivate this mode are super simple.
- Click on the Start menu on your computer and then run the Settings menu. Click Devices to see various devices that connect to your computer.
- On the left panel, click Printers & Scanners, and the right panel is going to show you related devices.
- Right-click on the HP printer you try to fix and then some options will appear on the screen. Uncheck the Use Printer Offline.
After unchecking the option, you will be able to use the printer again since the offline status is now gone. If the offline status is still appearing, then try to restart your printer after unchecking the offline mode.
Why is my HP printer keeps going offline and refusing to print the documents I need? Many things may cause this error and make you panic. But you shouldn’t panic since there are seven different methods you can use to fix the error.